The Best Pectin-Free Concord Grape Jam
5 cups concord grapes, stemmed and washed
21/2 cups sugar
- Squish the pulp out of the skins, place the pulp in a large pot and the skins in a medium one. Add enough water to the skins just to cover, and cook on medium heat for 15min. Cook the pulp at the same time, until soft. The pulp should take about 10 mins.
- Run the pulp through a fine mesh strainer to eliminate all of the seeds
- Combine the two mixtures into a large pot. (I just washed out the pulp pot and did everything in there).Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and bring back to a hard boil that can not be stirred down. (this is why you use a large pot. The mixture foams up quite high and it can be a disaster if your pot is too small). Continue to boil until you reach jam consistency. Mine took about 15mins at the hard boil. *Make sure you stir often, or you will scorch you jam and it will taste burnt*
- Pack in sterilized jars and boil in a water bath canner for 10 min. Allow to cool in a draft free area. Any jars that did not seal must be put in the fridge